MAC Monday: Faerie Whispers - Spellbinder Blush and Fairy Land Foiled Shadow Swatches & Review23:38
Provided for review/Contains affiliate links
MAC's latest collection, Faerie Whispers perfectly captures an ethereal vibe with a palette of muted pastel and neutral tones and an overlay of sparkle. I was lucky enough to be sent two pieces from this collection, which launched last Monday on counters nationwide and I've been really enjoying using them, so let's take a peek!
I've long had a love affair with MAC's blushes, especially the satin finish ones like Spellbinder (Fleur Power and Modern Mandarin are among my favourites from the permanent range). They're pretty consistent in their quality and contain a decent amount of product for the price (6g for $48NZD/$22 in the US).
Spellbinder is one of two blushes in this collection and it's described as a 'pastel yellow pink'. It's a beautiful soft peach with very fine shimmer and excellent colour pay off. I found it very easy to apply and diffuse, but it was unusually powdery, kicking up a lot of excess at the merest touch of my brush, although it didn't look powdery on the skin. Spellbinder wears for around eight hours on me, but is somewhat faded after five.
Spellbinder worn on cheeks with Lightscapade MSF and Gold-Go-Lightly Careblend Pressed Powder (LE)
The eyeshadows featured in this collection are a new and limited edition wet/dry formula called Foiled Shadow. There are eight shades in all with an RRP of $50NZD ($20USD in the States) for 3g - in comparison, the regular eyeshadows are 1.3g ($38NZD/$16USD).
Fairy Land is described as a warm champagne, which sums it up nicely. It has fine, smooth shimmer accented by larger silvery glitter - though still quite fine in the scheme of things - somewhere between the Reflects and Glitter Brilliants range in size. It was very easy to work with and I didn't notice any fall out.
Fairy Land used on the inner corners with the Chi Chi Extravaganza palette and MAC's new Fluidline Pen in Vintage Brown.
Just for fun, I tried Fairy Land out as a cheek highlighter in this makeup look and paired it with Too Faced Spice bronzer and Peachy Keen blush, both from an old holiday palette. I had massive glittery fall out from a Makeup Revolution eyeshadow I used on my eyelids which sort of muddles up the effect from Fairy Land, whoops!
- Great colour pay off
- Spellbinder wore for eight hours
- Easy to apply and blend
- No glittery fall out from Fairy Land
- Spellbinder looked a bit faded after five hours
- Spellbinder was quite powdery in the pan
- M.A.C Ponsonby, 130-134 Ponsonby Road, Auckland.
- M.A.C Westfield St Lukes, 80 St Lukes Rd, Mount Albert.
- M.A.C Botany, Fountain Lane North, Botany Town Centre.
- Smith & Caughey’s Queen St, 253-261 Queen St, Auckland.
- Smith & Caughey’s Newmarket, 225 Broadway, Newmarket.
- Farmers Centre Place, Shop 81, 501 Victoria Street, Hamilton.
- Kirkcaldie & Stains, 165-177 Lambton Quay, Wellington.
- Farmers Westfield Queensgate, Queens Drive, Lower Hutt
- Ballantynes, City Mall, Christchurch.
- M.A.C Westfield Riccarton, 113 Riccarton Road, Christchurch.
- Arthur Barnett, 285 George St, Dunedin.